Since I first arrived here in Japan, I’ve had some experiences in which communication was difficult, or just simply not happening. As a result of these situations, I would make statements to the other Americans as so: “You know we’re making progress when we can ________”, and the blank consisted of doing/saying something that we could not at the time. After a few of these, I started to get really creative, and then I realized that they are quite humorous and/or worth sharing. So here you go, take a read….I’ve listed the appropriate ones.
- Be able to ask any question
- Teach a word in Japanese to someone learning English
- Understand whole conversations, and be able to ask for and receive an explanation in Japanese for the words misunderstood
- Translate ridiculous american humor into Japanese. For example ズボンヘビ
- Catch someone talking shit about me when they assume I can’t understand
- Accidentally use a Japanese word in when speaking English
- Spit game in Japanese
- Understand a Japanese movie (with no subtitles of course)
- Convey my vulgar sarcasm in Japanese
- Have the feeling of using the perfect words of describing something in Japanese
- Change the preferred language of communicating with a friend from English to Japanese
- Have a phone conversation in Japanese
- Speak Japanese in a dream
Some of these I’ve done, and some of them I haven’t. You can try and guess which ones I’ve completed, because I don’t know how to make this a check list instead of a bulleted list. Well, actually it’s because it will be fun to see what everyone thinks, but go ahead and leave a comment if you like. You can also give me some other tasks to aim for…that involve language.